red, orange, yellow, green, and purple bell peppers are sweet, astringent, and cooling for the hot months of summer. Combined with buckwheat, a gluten-free high-protein and high-fiber superfood, and nutrient-rich mushrooms, the stuffed peppers make an attractive, nutritious, and delectable dish!
Let us know in the comments below if you have any questions, if you have any other great stuffed pepper recipes, or if you added some slight touches that’ll have us saying “more!”
How To Make Buckwheat and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers (yields 6 servings)
- 6 large Bell Peppers
- 3 cups cooked Buckwheat (2 cups uncooked)
- 1 cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 cups homemade Tomato Sauce
- 12 slices Cheddar Cheese
- Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Slice each pepper in half longways, from top to bottom. Remove the seeds.
- Heat ghee in a large skillet set over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook just before the point of browning.
- Add mushrooms. Cook and stir until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add cooked buckwheat and stir the ingredients together.
- Fill each side of the pepper with cooked filling.
- Place peppers in the baking dish(es).
- Pour about two tablespoons of tomato sauce on top of each stuffed pepper.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes at 370F.
- Place a slice of cheese on each pepper and bake for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.