Stuffed Cabbage or “Golubtsi” is a dish that every Russian and Ukrainian family makes. It certainly brings many good memories. We grew up eating it regularly, but even those who try it for the first time become instant fans.
Let us know in the comments below how you enjoyed our Stuffed Cabbage with Buckwheat and Mushrooms, and if you made any adjustments 🙂
Stuffed Cabbage with Buckwheat and Mushrooms
- With a paring knife remove the entire core from the cabbage. Put the whole cabbage in a large pot with hot salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. With a pair of tongs start removing outer leaves as they soften. Let the next outer leaf blanch some more and then it can be removed. Put the cooked leaves on a spare plate for later use.
- Repeat Step 1 until you get to the point that the leaves are too small to be stuffed and rolled. Remove what’s left of the head, cool it down, put it in a container with a lid, and use it for some other food preparation. Reserve the water.
- Heat ghee in a large skillet set over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook just before the point of browning.
- Add mushrooms. Cook stirring for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a medium bowl mix together the buckwheat, mushrooms, and raw eggs until well combined. This will be the filling.
- Spread each cabbage leave on a flat surface and place 1/3 cup of filling in an oval shape near the rib edge of each leaf and roll up toward the outer edge, tucking the sides in as you roll.
- Place 1 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a large pot and arrange the cabbage rolls, seam-side down over the sauce. Add more sauce and more cabbage rolls alternately until you have placed all the cabbage rolls in the pot. Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- If needed, add the reserved cabbage water so the top layer of the cabbage rolls is almost covered with the liquid. Put bay leaves in the pot.
- Cover the pot with a lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer carefully to a serving platter. Serve with sour cream. Enjoy!