This colorful and satisfying dish is rich in manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, fiber, and vitamins A, K, B6, B3, and B1. The sweet potatoes balance the kale, making this a beneficial combination for all doshas. Pine nuts, being one of the lightest and most easily digestible nuts, complement this dish very nicely.
Sautéed Kale with Sweet Potatoes and Pine Nuts
- Put the pine nuts into a dry skillet and roast over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden in spots, about 3 minutes. Transfer the nuts into a small bowl for future use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a large sauté pan set over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic, cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Start adding the kale in batches – the pan should be borderline full but not overflowing. Once the kale starts cooking down, continue to add more. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the kale is soft and wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the lemon juice and toss to combine. Remove from the stove.
- Heat large iron skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons ghee. Let warm for a few minutes. Add sweet potatoes and stir around a little to cover in the ghee. Let cook untouched for about 5 minutes. Then give them a toss. Bottoms should be a little browned. Add additional ghee if needed to keep them from sticking. Cook 5-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the pan with the kale back on the stove over medium-low heat and fold in the sweet potatoes. Gently mix until everything is well combined and equally heated.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts. Enjoy!