Homemade sauerkraut is a world apart from the stuff that comes from the grocery store. It’s crunchy, incredibly tasty, and it’s packed with vitamins & beneficial probiotics!
Sauerkraut is very easy to make. It doesn’t require any special equipment, and the results are dependably delicious!
To make homemade sauerkraut, you will need a large (2-3 quart) wide-mouth jar and a smaller jar that fits inside the larger jar. Make sure that the smaller jar has a tight lid. See below for an image of the jars in action.
Yields 1 to 1 1/2 Quarts
- In a large bowl mix cabbage, carrots, beets, and salt. Massage and squeeze the mixture with your hands as hard as you can. It resembles kneading dough. You can also pound the vegetables with a wooden tamper or other type of pounding tool made for this purpose. Continue this task until the cabbage becomes watery and limp. This will take 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the dill or caraway seeds (optional).
- Pack the vegetables into a wide-mouth jar. Every so often, tamp down the mixture in the jar with your fist or a tamper. Press the mixture down really well. Cover with the two reserved cabbage leaves. Fill the smaller jar with water, cover with a lid, and slip it into the mouth of the larger jar. Press it down. This will keep the mixture weighed down and submerged beneath its liquid.
- Cover the mouth of the jar with a cloth and leave at room temperature for 3-5 days. Check it daily and press it down if the cabbage is floating above the liquid. The cabbage must be submerged in the liquid during the whole process of fermentation.
- Start tasting the sauerkraut after 3 days. When it tastes good to you, remove the weight, cover with a lid, and refrigerate.
- The sauerkraut can be stored for several months in the refrigerator.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training: Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!