Spinach is rich in minerals and vitamins, is loaded with chlorophyll, and is great for blood and liver cleansing. It reduces the risk of cancer, heart disease, and cataracts.
In order to receive the maximum benefit from spinach, it should be cooked. Raw spinach contains oxalates which can cause problems in the gallbladder and kidneys. However, when spinach is cooked it becomes a powerful medicinal vegetable.
Spinach with moong dal is a flavorful healthy combination and an easy way to complement the wonderful benefits of spinach with protein. It’s best when served with Perfectly Fluffy Basmati Rice.
Spinach with Split Mung Beans (Palak Dal)
- Place moong dal in 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Skim the foam. Reduce to a simmer and add the turmeric, coriander, and onion. Cook for 30 minutes, until dal starts to break down, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon ghee and toast the cumin seeds. Add the asafetida, ginger, and chili pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts. Add the mixture to the dal after the dal begins to break down (see step 1).
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon ghee in a sauté pan and quickly drop in the curry leaves. Add to the dal and finish with lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training: Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!