Black currants have been used for generations to treat many ailments including infections, inflammation from arthritis, respiratory issues, neurological diseases, problems with night vision, and even cancer. Besides the enormous amount of vitamin C in these little beauties (over 300 percent of the daily value), they also contain iron, copper, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, potassium, vitamins B5, B6, and B1. They also are uniquely powerful in antioxidants, which make these amazingly healthy berries a powerful tool in slowing the aging process.
This black currant jam is super easy to make and you can enjoy the taste and goodness of freshly picked berries year-round. The sweetness is a glorious counterpart to the natural complexity of flavor of black currants and the sugar helps to balance these flavors and bring them out.
This is a small batch recipe but if you are blessed with an abundance of black currants, by all means, double or triple the recipe.
Old World Strawberry Preserve
- Wash the currants, dry them on a towel and remove the berries from their stems.
- In a blender, purée the currants and transfer the jam into a large ceramic bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Leave the mixture for about an hour to let the sugar dissolve.
- Stir well and ladle the jam into clean jars. Cover with the lid.
- Store this jam in a fridge for up to one year.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training (with cooking classes!): Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!