White basmati rice, well-known for its wonderful aroma and delicious flavor, is a predominant variety in Ayurvedic cooking as it is gentle on the digestive system and beneficial for all three doshas. Kapha should eat in moderation though.
Cumin is a very special and unique spice. It is a powerful digestive aid and one of the best spices for enhancing absorption.
Yields 3 Servings
- Wash the rice by placing it in a bowl with enough cold water to cover it. Swish the rice around with one hand until the water becomes cloudy and then slowly pour the water out using your hand to keep the rice from falling out of the bowl. Repeat two or three more times until the water runs mostly clear. Drain.
- In a medium pot on medium-low setting, heat the ghee. Add the cumin seeds and sauté for half a minute. Add the rice and mix very well.
- Add the salt and hot water. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover tightly with lid. Cook for 20 minutes, do not stir and do not remove the lid.
- Uncover the pot and gently fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training (with cooking classes!): Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!