Okra has sweet and cooling properties, which makes it a perfect summer vegetable. This is a beautiful plant with numerous medicinal benefits. It lubricates joints, relieves inflammation, protects the liver and kidneys, and fights arthritis and osteoporosis. Okra has a unique effect of binding environmental toxins, including toxins caused by exposure to electronic radiation from cell phones and alike. Okra captures toxins in the blood, liver, and muscle tissue and escorts them to the colon for removal from the body.
This recipe is inspired by the wonderful Ayurvedic cookbook: Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Usha and Vasant Lad.
Yields 3 Servings
- Wash the okra and dry it on a towel. Trim off the tops. Slice into circles.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Stir gently until the seeds start to pop, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chili and salt. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the okra.
- Mix well. Cover and turn down the heat to low.
- Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training (with cooking classes!): Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!