“In Ayurvedic cooking, most breads are flat breads rather than ones made with yeast. They are usually cooked on the top of the stove. The bread should be made fresh before each meal if possible, to have the maximum amount of prana. Bread is often used in place of a “spoon” for eating the meal” – Dr. Vasant Lad, Ayurvedic Physician
Parathas are unleavened bread made with wheat flour. The process of making parathas requires ghee or oil when kneading the dough and when cooking. Parathas are normally eaten for breakfast or lunch.
At a first sight, the cooking directions for paratha may look a bit daunting, but don’t get discouraged, the process is in fact quite fast and simple.
Makes 6 Parathas
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Drizzle in melted ghee and rub with fingertips until mixture has consistency of breadcrumbs. Add the warm water, bit by bit, working it into the flour. You are aiming for a ball of soft dough. Amount of water may vary based on the type of flour. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Rub ghee over it, cover with a damp towel, and let it rest for 40-60 minutes.
- Knead the dough again for a few minutes, then divide into 6 equal balls. Cover with a damp towel.
- Take one of the balls, keeping the rest covered. Flatten the ball and dip into dusting flour. Roll out to 6” diameter. Brush the top with ghee and fold in half. Brush the dough half-circle with ghee and fold into a quarter-circle. Slightly dusting with flour when needed, roll out into a large triangle.
- Preheat a frying pan (cast iron pans work best) over medium-low heat. Brush the pan with little ghee. Place the paratha on the pan and drizzle a bit of ghee on the top. Cook until the bottom starts to form golden-brown spots, about 1 minute. Turn over and cook until done.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training (with cooking classes!): Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!