The term ‘gourd’ is loosely used to describe several members of the squash and melon family that are all characterized by thick skins and a watery flesh. Gourds are harvested in midsummer through early autumn, and have sweet, cooling, and heavy properties. They are blood purifiers, mild diuretics, and refrigerants, which make them great cooling summer vegetables.
When buying, look for plump, firm fruits that feel heavy for their size.
This dish goes well with our Perfectly Fluffy Basmati Rice.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee in a wide heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, and fennel powder. Stir for few seconds.
- Add the gourd, salt, and turmeric powder. Mix well. Sauté for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Keep stirring to prevent sticking to the pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee in a pot set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic. Sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the pan with the cooked gourd. Mix well and simmer for a minute. Remove from heat and serve.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training (with cooking classes!): Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!