Vinegret is a traditional Russian salad made with cooked beets, carrots and potatoes, spiced with pickles and sauerkraut, and dressed in an aromatic sunflower oil. This vibrant root-vegetable salad is a healthy comfort food, perfect for all three doshas!
Vinegret (Russian Beet Salad)
- Drain and rinse the beans. Put them in a pot and cover with water, no less than double the amount of the beans. Boil for 30 minutes then simmer for 30 to 60 more minutes, until the beans are soft. Drain and cool. Alternately, use a pressure cooker to speed up the bean-preparing process.
- Place thoroughly washed unpeeled potatoes, beets, and carrots into a large saucepan. Pour in cold water, enough to cover the vegetables. Once water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, then remove the potatoes from the saucepan. In another 10 minutes take out the carrots. Cook the beets for another 15-20 minutes. Beets should be fully covered with water during boiling. Add more water to the saucepan if needed. Cooked vegetables should be soft enough so a knife can easily poke through, but they should not be mushy. Get the pan off the heat and pour water out.
- When the vegetables cool down, peel them using a paring knife.
- Dice the beets, potatoes, carrots and pickles into small cubes and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the onion and parsley. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the beans, sauerkraut, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training (with cooking classes!): Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!