Healthy dessert might sound like a paradox, but these naturally sweet Fruit and Nut Truffles can be a delicious reality! This festive treat is made with dry fruits, nuts, coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, and unsweetened cocoa powder. No added sugar :).
Rolling the truffles in different coatings makes an attractive assortment. I like to coat them with unsweetened grated coconut, cocoa powder, sesame seeds, almond flour, orange, lemon, or lime zest. Let me know in the comments if you’ve explored any other delicious coatings.
These truffles can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Fruit and Nut Truffles
Yields around 20 truffles
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat. Shake the pan frequently for around 4 to 5 minutes until they are lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a dry skillet over low heat. Stir frequently for 4 to 5 minutes until golden. Let cool slightly.
- Put the hazelnuts and sunflower seeds in a food processor and process in short pulses until you get the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over low heat.
- Add the melted coconut oil and remaining ingredients to the food processor. Blend for 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture forms a mushy ball.
- Transfer the contents from the food processor into a mixing bowl.
- Scoop out the mixture with a teaspoon and with the palms of your hands, roll into smooth, 1″ wide balls. Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the coating onto a plate and roll the truffles in whichever coating ingredient you are using. Repeat with other coatings. Be sure to leave some of the truffles plain (because they don’t need a topping to be delicious).
Ayurveda is the Science of Life. With The Ayurveda and Yoga Institute’s 200 Hour Ayurveda Healing Immersive Certification Training you’ll cultivate vibrant health, radical self-love, unwavering compassion for others, rich relationships, knowledge of your life purpose, unshakable joy, and the life you’ve always dreamed of living! Watch the video above to hear students in the class of 2018 speak about their experience after weekend 2 of the immersion.