“Braising is a combination-cooking method that uses both wet and dry heats: typically, the food is first seared at a high temperature, then finished in a covered pot at a lower temperature while sitting in some amount of liquid.” – Wikipedia
While the method of braising may sound fancy, in reality it is a very easy and simple cooking technique. You will need, however, a Dutch oven or any other ovenproof pan with a tight-fitting lid.
Braised Leeks and Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Chop the leeks into 1” pieces. Add them to a bowl of cold water and wash them well to remove any soil that may stick between the leaves. Drain and repeat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1” chunks.
- Heat the ghee in a Dutch oven or another ovenproof pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in water to cover the vegetables by half and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a lid and transfer to the oven. Braise for 40 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Ayurveda is the Science of Life. With The Ayurveda and Yoga Institute’s 200 Hour Ayurveda Healing Immersive Certification Training you’ll cultivate vibrant health, radical self-love, unwavering compassion for others, rich relationships, knowledge of your life purpose, unshakable joy, and the life you’ve always dreamed of living! Click here to read about the expderiences of one of the members of the Class of 2018.