Spinach is one of first vegetables to show up in our garden in spring. Spinach is a true superfood – it’s packed with so many healthy qualities, it’s hard to list them all! Spinach is high in niacin, zinc, protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese.
This nutritious, comforting and soothing, yet light, emerald-green vegetable soup possesses blood and liver cleansing properties which makes it an enjoyable addition to your spring cleansing routine!
Spinach Soup with Green Peas and Millet
- In a saucepan, bring 3 quarts water to a boil over high heat. Add the millet, bay leaves, turmeric, and coriander. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid leaving an opening, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the millet is cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat melt the ghee. Add the onions. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots. Sautee, frequently stirring, for a couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Sautee, frequently stirring, for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the onions, carrots, and potatoes from the skillet to the pot. Add salt and pepper.
- Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the green peas. Simmer 2 minutes longer.
- Add the spinach, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Garnish with the lime juice.