Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breathing) is a pranayama (breathing technique) that is tri-doshic and supremely balancing. At once it relaxes & energizes and provides calmness & focus. WIt’s a technique so simple yet powerful that it was used by Hillary Clinton during and after her campaign. In her words, “[I] tried alternate nostril breathing; I highly recommend it. It kind of calms you down.” Students of our Yoga College program have called it “Instant Yogic Prozac.”
Benefits of Nadi Shodhana
- Tri-Doshic: Healthy for all three Ayurvedic doshas
- Accessible: Easy to learn, and can be performed by anyone, anywhere.
- Purifying: De-toxifying for the body and mind. Cleanses the energetic channels known as Nadis, thereby helps open the Chakras.
- Stress-Relieving: Reduces the heart rate, calms the nervous system, and brings peace to the mind.
- Balancing: Brings balance to the left hemisphere (analysis, logic, reasoning) and right hemisphere (creativity, imagination, intuition) of the brain, solar and lunar aspects, and Pingala and Ida Nadis.
- Mental Prowess: Improves focus, ability to concentrate, and gently improves alertness.
- Respiration: Teaches healthy breathing habits. Fills the body with oxygen, removes stagnant air from lungs.
Enjoy a guided experience of Nadi Shodhana by Danny Litvin, lead trainer at The Ayurveda and Yoga Institute. In this exploration, you will enjoy deep relaxation and gentle energetic cleansing. Please click here for the video.